The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Removing Cabinet Back

Aussiebattler
    Aussiebattler

Removing Cabinet Back Empty Removing Cabinet Back

Post by Aussiebattler Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:28 am

Yes I'm asking the most unbelievable question
    but I have taken all the back screws out and can't get the back to come off so what am I missing here as I have tried all sorts of leavers in there to ease it out even some oversize screws in to pull it out and nothing won't budge.
    Is there something that I'm missing as I can't seem to get it off?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Removing Cabinet Back Empty Re: Removing Cabinet Back

Post by bordonbert Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:18 am

G'day Bruce! Wink (Sorry, as an old Pommy barsteward I couldn't resist the opportunity to use that seeing your moniker.)

I've never come across this problem Ab, I just assumed it would be screws out and pull off. This sounds daft even to me as I ask it but are you sure you have all of them removed? There are no odd ones maybe in from the side at right angles? I have known backs to become stuck onto the Tolex so they really needed to be levered hard to get them started. Make sure the levers you use are pretty broad so you spread the pressure and don't notch the cabinet edges. I always use something like a wallpaper stripper myself as they are wide and will bend preventing me from using too much force. You usually hear a sick crackling sound when the two layers of Tolex let go and part from each other. If you say you've tried various levers then I'm not sure what to do next.

Someone out there must have taken their own back off so surely we will get a bit of first hand knowledge to clear this up.

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:29 am

Just for reference here is another TM212 question which actually has pics of the back removed so you can see that there is nothing unusual about the method of mounting it.

TM212 Thread With Back Removed

It's the common or garden "screwed to a batten ledge" all the way around.  I would get something broad, as I said a wallpaper stripper knife is great, and give it a bit more wellie.  That Tolex can grip to itself pretty tightly as the glue dries out.  As long as you get the wide blade down into the gap you should be able to lever hard with no external marking.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Aussiebattler
    Aussiebattler

Post by Aussiebattler Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:09 pm

Thanks for the replies peoples and I must assume its just never been off before and really wanted to check before I went harder at it so thanks to both for replying and I'll give a bit harder crack now .

Cheers Wayne

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:10 am