The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

Viewing your saved preset files in Apple format

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Viewing your saved preset files in Apple format Empty Viewing your saved preset files in Apple format

Post by bordonbert Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:47 am

Hi.  I've come across something which may be useful to a few people.  The original app for the GM36 was written for the iPad.  As such it was set up to use a specific file format of "filename.GM36memory" but this is actually just Apple's own format "filename.bplist".  This morphed into the "filename.GM40memory" format for obvious reasons.  Apple's format is actually nothing more than the amp settings written as common or garden XML which is a standard software data format.  They did however add in that magical "b" on the front of plist and that tells you it is in "binary".  i.e. You won't be able to view it as text.

Fredo wrote the Windows app and took the view, (absolutely the correct one in my opinion), that there was no reason whatsoever to hide the content from the user's eyes.  The files from the Windows version of the app can be opened and even edited in any basic text viewer.  It is NOT WISE to do this in an advanced application like M$ Word as they can change the line end characters so they no longer work in the app.

It has always been irritating that you can't see into those iPad app files.  Well now you can, and for free too!  There is a very useful tool called Notepad++.  This is a simple text editor designed to replace M$'s Notepad, and much much more besides.  It has a plugin for reading .bplist files.  I have used Notepad++ for years now but hadn't come across this plugin before and, whaddyaknow, it works!

I can honestly recommend this app to everyone as a great text editor, but now it has the benefit that any iPad app users can see into their own files, (as long as you are familiar with XML).

Rock On Humble Pie

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:48 am