The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Best rig I've ever had

HotFuzz
    HotFuzz

Best rig I've ever had Empty Best rig I've ever had

Post by HotFuzz Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:30 pm

Just got my duotone in yesterday. Was trying to get cc412a30 but of course guitar center had a triamp cab miss labeled. So went with a Friedman BE412. Two greenbacks up top and two v30s on bottom. Best rig I've owned.

Last edited by HotFuzz on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Road_King likes this post

HotFuzz
    HotFuzz

Best rig I've ever had Empty Re: Best rig I've ever had

Post by HotFuzz Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:39 pm

Best rig I've ever had 20210114
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 am

I like a mix of greenbacks and V30s too HF, they do complement each other well. I also have a set of mid 1960s G12Hs, all original from my 4x12", which I mix in too either in the 4x12" or a 2x12" or even a pair of 1x12". You would think they would be "like awesome dood". They are surprisingly close to the greenbacks, at least in my own cabinets. They are great for my classic rock of course but the way people fight to get their hands on them has little to do with the difference in sound. Reputation can sometimes be a little over valued. After years of research and paying a lot of money to invest in genuine relics, I can now say I wear the same underpants as Hendrix did when he played the Isle of Wight. Sleep Laughing

I have converted the interior and wiring of the 4x12", all reversible of course. I put a divider in there to split it into two vertically. Again it's nothing permanent, it can be easily removed and let the cab go back to original. I then changed out one of the handles for a modern metal clone to preserve the original. This has been drilled to take two heavy duty slider switches. The output socket cup is unchanged but now has a 470R resistor across it. This way I can select 4x12" in parallel/series at 16R, either of the 2x12"s at 8R, 4x12" all parallel at 4R. The resistor is there to keep a load on the output for safety should anyone switch it out during playing. That's enough to prevent short term damage from flyback spikes when it is unloaded. With the 3 different speakers in various combinations it can give you lots of potential options to try. It's a boon for my bigger 100W Marshalls and my smaller GM36 and SC20H. It is really important and helps a lot in getting decent tone at lower volumes for home/small gig playing.

Rock On Humble Pie

HotFuzz and Blue Charvel like this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:33 am