The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Odd TSC code and tubes light up but don't get hot, Check three fuses and they are ok.

damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Odd TSC code and tubes light up but don't get hot, Check three fuses and they are ok. Empty Odd TSC code and tubes light up but don't get hot, Check three fuses and they are ok.

Post by damnedinblack Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Here is the code? Has anyone ever seen it before? The Amp I have is a Coreblade.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=442AA1A33DFFDE84&id=442AA1A33DFFDE84%2158836&parId=root&o=OneUp

I had a similar probably before back when I got into tube swapping and didn't learn my lessen. The code wasn't exactly the same but it was similar. I sent it back to an approved H&K repair facility and they just told me that code was a bad tube.

I've tried some of my other tubes I got but none seem to fix the current code and lack of tubes heating up like they should.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Odd TSC code and tubes light up but don't get hot, Check three fuses and they are ok. Empty Re: Odd TSC code and tubes light up but don't get hot, Check three fuses and they are ok.

Post by bordonbert Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:12 am

I've just found your post DIB.  I don't understand why you put a technical query about the Coreblade in the "Anything else that needs to be talked about" chat forum when there is a forum for all Coreblade stuff anyway?

Anyway, that is why it took me so long to spot your question.  The trouble is now if I try to access your link I am told it no longer exists.  Have you fixed your problem?  If not then give us an idea of the code you were experiencing and we can see if it makes sense.  Bear in mind the Coreblade schematics are not available to non-service personnel so it can't get too deep technically.

Rock On Humble Pie
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Odd TSC code and tubes light up but don't get hot, Check three fuses and they are ok. Empty Re: Odd TSC code and tubes light up but don't get hot, Check three fuses and they are ok.

Post by damnedinblack Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:27 pm

I put it in general because I figure most all the new H@K Amps have TSC also and others may have seen that code.

Yes the problem has been sorted out with some help from someone at the H@K Facebook page, who told me how to reset the TSC which meant turning on standby first then the power. Their must be timing in doing this because the first time I did it relatively quickly, but the next time I kept it on stand bye for a minute the switching the power on. This got the voltage working again in the power tubes.
    I also tried a set of power tubes I thought were toast in my Switchblade and that was not the case. I'm not sure why that amp stopped making sound but it works now.

The original power tubes that did work in the Coreblade still were giving a wacky code but when I put the working Switchblade tubes in the Coreblade the TSC eventually realized those tubes were good. I then order some new tubes and it seems to be working now. My Switchblade is also working too!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:36 pm

That "Anything else for discussion" area is really intended as a coffee shop area for kicking around musical tastes, politics, religion, in fact anything that civilised people enjoy talking about other than the H&K gear.  You would not find too many people going there regularly.  I do take your point about the TSC being general over other amp models.  There is no way to set up the perfect structure in a forum like this I'm afraid.  Anyway, all set now.

Wow, thanks for the heads up, that's really a great tip.  I do remember discussing that TSC reset procedure with the H&K support a couple of years back but I had forgotten about it completely.  My life isn't within H&K amps exclusively I'm afraid. For some reason getting them to tell me even once I knew it existed was like drawing teeth at the time and I had to use a crowbar to open them up about it.  That's a keeper of a tip for sure.  They seemed to prefer advising that a new set of valves can take a little time for the TSC to recalibrate itself naturally.  We have seen this before with other owners.  New valves -> TSC problem with readings -> Whoops -> Problem gone TSC shows all good. It occasionally takes a couple of on/off cycles to reset the bias to a new set of valves if there is much of a natural difference between the two sets.  A new set of valves is not generally a bank breaker but I really feel as an engineer it is best to do what you have done, put in a little time to logically investigate whether they genuinely are suspect before forking out more cash on a guess or worse, on internet forum advice.  Based on your own sensible observations yours do seem to be questionable.  Maybe you have someone local who tests valves for just a small fee who could put them on a tester and confirm them as good or bad?  They don't all fade away slowly, some do just go pop and create instant problems.

Anyway, it's good to hear it's up and running.  Can't have a good amp sitting idle.

Rock On Humble Pie
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Odd TSC code and tubes light up but don't get hot, Check three fuses and they are ok. Empty Well, maybe things have changed at H@K.

Post by damnedinblack Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:15 pm

During my chat, I mentioned that there were three pins on the TSC circuit board that were not connected to anything and mentioned that back in the day the procedure to reset the motherboard Bios you would take the bridge from two pins and move it over, then back. I also wondered if there might have been a cable going from those three pins to the standby switch, but the H@K didn't tell me what those unconnected pins were for when I inquired. He did tell the reset procedure for the TSC without any trouble or difficulty. They didn't detail the information that you mentioned about the reset procedure. I just tried it again.

Glad I could refresh your memory. Must be tough keeping all that detail amp helping info for gradually leaking out over the years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 9:02 pm