The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Has anyone checked out the new-ish Black Spirit 200?

Artie
    Artie

Has anyone checked out the new-ish Black Spirit 200? Empty Has anyone checked out the new-ish Black Spirit 200?

Post by Artie Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Looks very cool, and very versatile. Also, fairly expensive. The extreme low weight would imply a Class-D amp topology. Nothing on the website says that though. I'd like to hear one of these, but I'm not sure who carries H&K in this town. GC maybe?

Well, I can't post a link, but I bet you all can find it.  Very Happy

Edit: Now I'm sure it's a class-D amp because you can't ground either speaker terminal. That's indicative of a class-D circuit.

I wish they made this thing in a preamp only version, so you could use it with the power amp of your choice.
    OldPunk
    OldPunk

Has anyone checked out the new-ish Black Spirit 200? Empty yep, I got mine

Post by OldPunk Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:01 am

Yeah, I've had it for a couple weeks now and I'm loving it. Of course it sounds different than my TM40, but every amp sounds a bit different.

I find it to be nicely touch sensitive, ranges from super clean to ULTRA MEGA gain hahahah I love the 8 lbs weight and the presets are a good place to start. FX are decent enough and..well, its a pricey little beast, but for me, it's well worth it. If you have specific questions, I'm happy to answer if I can.

I'm calling it a super star. And I've been a tube amp user for years. I just didn't wanna carry the weight of them anymore...
    grimm26
    grimm26

Has anyone checked out the new-ish Black Spirit 200? Empty Re: Has anyone checked out the new-ish Black Spirit 200?

Post by grimm26 Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:25 pm

I was super interested in this amp when I heard about it, but I currently have a GM40 and the BS200 is not really that much cheaper. If it were a couple hundred cheaper and the sound was very comparable, I would think about it instead of the GM40 to save some cash and future maintenance.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Has anyone checked out the new-ish Black Spirit 200? Empty Re: Has anyone checked out the new-ish Black Spirit 200?

Post by bordonbert Thu May 30, 2019 1:01 pm

Could maybe be just basic bridged mode Artie? 2 x 50W amps with high enough current capability in bridged mode will give you 200W and neither of those output terminals should be grounded either. What is the heatsinking like as the ClassD will need very little but bridged mode will still require hefty sinking?

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:37 pm