The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like.

damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like. Empty Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like.

Post by damnedinblack Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:15 pm

I kind of thought this free plugin from Ignite Amps, called the Emissary, had some Hughes and Kettner Coreblade characteristics.

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like. Empty Re: Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like.

Post by bordonbert Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 am

I don't know as much about this stuff in terms of what is available on the market as you guys will but it interested me to notice that H&K are now posting Impulse Responses for some of their amps on their site.  They have the TM18 and TM36 available as downloads at the foot of their own page.  Looks like the digital revolution is going to catch them up and you can bet they will have their own contribution to it in the pipeline.

EDIT:  Just found the GM36 Combo is there too.  Maybe even more if you dig!

Rock On Humble Pie
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like. Empty Looks like the Emissary actually was built into a real amp.

Post by damnedinblack Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:49 pm

I just found this video, that shows they actually built the real Emissary into a physical amp, for some guitar player. I'm not sure that it will become a production amp.

I did see they did have a impulse of the GM40. I downloaded it but haven't got around to checking it out.

The only time I kind of felt using a impulse response seemed ok was when I used the Two Notes free BlendIr software to copy my own cab/speaker IR. There is something to say for being able to play the real amp, and hear a close facimale of the real amp's cab IR, that makes you feel more ok about it.

Altrockismydad likes this post

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like. Empty Re: Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like.

Post by bordonbert Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Oh Holy Hell! affraid   That's not for me based on that review. Wink   I know it must represent your own musical taste but let me get mine out of the way first so you high gain death metal lovin' square wave chuggin' freaks can have the floor. Laughing   (Don't get sore, I'm laughing at myself there people hoping you are too.)

It's very probably a magnificent beast for that genre but does it play Bad Company and The Stones well?  How about the best little rock and roll band ever, Humble Pie in the Clempson years?  Never heard of them? Shocked  You guys... Rolling Eyes There's just no hope for you. Sad

Rock On Humble Pie
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Post by damnedinblack Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm

There are some sounds I didn't mind on that VST. The real amp has some interesting features. I think the hi mid, and low mid knob would be something I think would be good to have on more amps. It has two inputs, one goes to the lead channel, and the other input goes to the other channel. I think the guitarist who pushed for that design likes to have different pedals for each amp channel, which is something you can pull off in a Axe FX system, but not really in most normal amps.

Ever hear of the Amp One, which is a pedal that is designed by Thomas Blug who used to work for Hughes and Kettner. It sounds a lot like a Kettner amp, but doesn't have all the features of one. He says it is 100 watt amp, but it is a more micro tube stage pushing class D amp. It Weighs only 2 lbs, and is designed for gigging musicians that want a small system for travel.
    Altrockismydad
    Altrockismydad

Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like. Empty Where can I get that impulse I can't seem to find it anywhere ???? my gm36 has been giving me grief lately and I need a digital version

Post by Altrockismydad Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:17 pm

damnedinblack wrote:I just found this video, that shows they actually built the real Emissary into a physical amp, for some guitar player. I'm not sure that it will become a production amp.

I did see they did have a impulse of the GM40. I downloaded it but haven't got around to checking it out.

The only time I kind of felt using a impulse response seemed ok was when I used the Two Notes free BlendIr software to copy my own cab/speaker IR. There is something to say for being able to play the real amp, and hear a close facimale of the real amp's cab IR, that makes you feel more ok about it.
    Altrockismydad
    Altrockismydad

Post by Altrockismydad Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:19 pm

Where can I get the GM Impulse responses my gm36 has been giving me grief and I need a digital alternative
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:03 am

I have to admit, I do know the theory and maths of IR work well.  I do not know anything about the practicalities, never having had my hands on a unit to play with!   Very Happy   It's a strange coincidence but I've just last night tried to set up four free online amp versions of software in this field in turn.  I tried what purported to be the free versions of IK's Amplitube 5, Native Instruments' Guitar Rig 6 Player, Shattered Glass Audio's Ace Tweed simulator and the Voxengo Boogex.  I couldn't get them to work for me in any usable way at all!!!  I found that what I got for a couple of them was basically some sort of account manager to handle my purchases which made getting the correct installation of the "free" versions like swimming the English Channel through treacle, or they just sounded awful.  And I mean AWFUL!  I realise it is probably my clumsiness but I wasn't prepared to spend time out of my short lifespan fighting something which was supposed to be a free gift to me to get it to work as it should.  My opinion is, if you don't mean it to be useful and easily accessible for free then don't offer it, just sell your products.  Needless to say I didn't build any connection to any of those products at all.  If I were looking in future I'm sure I would start elsewhere after that.

Ok, H&K.  For each of the Impulse Responses I found I simply went onto the H&K site, Hughes & Kettner Home, then selected Products and navigated to the model I wanted. At the foot of each product page is a Download section.  The Impulse Response is listed there for that particular model.  There aren't many available, only a few of the older ones such as the Tubemeisters seem to be as far as I remember.  It may be useful to list these in a thread somewhere, maybe even a sticky if it gets popular enough.  I'll get onto it.

In the meantime if anyone else finds any of the other models can they pass on the links.  And any other info on this topic as well of course.

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:09 am

Here is an address for the downloads for the IRs from H&K's site.  These are on the TM18, TM36 and TM36 Combo product pages.  Our site doesn't allow the downloading of external stuff so I'll post the address in plain readable text and you can edit and copy/paste it into your browser as you need:

http://hughes-and-kettner.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Impulse_Response.zip

Unfortunately I think you may find these are all the same.  It may just be a useful starting point.

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:01 am

Looks like the link I gave doesn't do what it should.  Here are the three pages I found.  The IRs are down at the bottom of the page for each one.  As I said, it looks to me as though they are all actually the same file!

TM18 Head
    TM36 Head
    TM36 Combo

Rock On Humble Pie
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like. Empty Hughes and Kettner Two Notes Torpedo IR's

Post by damnedinblack Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:58 am

bordonbert wrote:Looks like the link I gave doesn't do what it should.  Here are the three pages I found.  The IRs are down at the bottom of the page for each one.  As I said, it looks to me as though they are all actually the same file!

TM18 Head
    TM36 Head
    TM36 Combo

I haven't tried these yet, but they got that H&K sound. Seems like all they are missing is a partnership with Two Notes and an virtual amp.

I found this Hughes and Kettner Two Notes speaker IR's. It Includes the CC412SE with UK made vintage 30's, Hughes and Kettner Triamp Combo Cream with G12H100 speakers, TM212 Vintage Vintage 30's, MC412SE Celestion Classic Lead 80, VC412 A25 Green Celestion G12 Greenback, TS112 Pro Cream Celestion G12H 75, TS412A Rockdriver, SC412 Rockdriver Ultra.

https://youtu.be/4DtqcZpZfWU

bordonbert likes this post

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:02 am

That is a great find DIB.  Sounds terrific to my ears though, as you know, I'm no high gain guru.  I don't think it was mentioned in there that H&K speakers are usually voiced specially for H&K by the manufacturer so they aren't always stock models.  In particular I know the V12 is not stock and that may account for why the H&K cabs sound pretty good while other V12 loaded cabs can sound rough, and I know that one first hand.  I'm not sure if that is relevant at all in the context of just listening to a comparison of the sound but it's worth knowing.

Rock On Humble Pie
    damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Post by damnedinblack Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:37 pm

I thought most were pretty good. I didn't love the Black Spirit 2x12 Cream combination but the rest were pretty good. I would have been interested to know what amp he was running through the other IRs but he didn't mention that.

I know many manufacturers have their speakers altered the manufacturer, It is pretty commonplace. I've contacted Eminence about a few speakers that I have and there like oh, that speaker is sort of like this one we make but they never say it is precisely that speaker. They like to keep the mystery.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:52 am

"They like to keep the mystery." Laughing Nicely put, I like that thought. It's pretty much on the ball with the way our paranoid manufacturers try to keep their Homeland Security level tech secrets. They share that idea with my wife. She likes to keep the mystery of where she hides the chocolate biscuits!

Rock On Humble Pie
    stmb
    stmb

Has anyone ever found a amp VST that is Hughes, and Kettner clone like. Empty Hug-Amp

Post by stmb Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:31 pm

https://fewtubefx.blogspot.com/2021/04/hug-amp.html
    Just discovered this. A little buggy but its interesting

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:49 pm