The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

What is it I'm missing about the Search function?

bordonbert
    bordonbert

What is it I'm missing about the Search function? Empty What is it I'm missing about the Search function?

Post by bordonbert Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:57 am

Hi guys.

I've never had any luck at any time I can remember with the Search function here on the site so I tried a little test today. In the thread "Can't edit presets??? (Noob)", bazkitkaise specifically mentions the TC Electronic G-system. I did a search for that and got only one hit which was: "Using a TC Electronic Polytune" and it had found only the "Electronic" part. I can understand not finding the TC part as it is only 2 letters, but G-System should be used in the search. Now that is ridiculous as I had just cut and pasted the phrase directly from his post so it should have found at least that too.

I've tried this with the Quick Search with no search area parameters and the Advanced Search looking only into "Amplifiers" and into "Grandmeister 36" but they all miss it. I've also tried searching for the phrase using "TC Electronic G-system", (that's including the parentheses to make it the whole phrase as is). Does anyone else have this strange Search behaviour, or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Rock On Humble Pie
    HwyStar
    HwyStar
    Admin

What is it I'm missing about the Search function? Empty Re: What is it I'm missing about the Search function?

Post by HwyStar Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm not sure about this website and how Forumotion's search function works, but the "-" may be causing the issue.  No different than the "+" can change a search, the minus character can be used for the subtraction of the search phrase.  Even in a enclosed string using double quotes.  I'm just guessing here!

Using the: "Search the current site" extension in Google Chrome, I get 16 hits from Google on " G-System ".

I always use that extension above, all the time over any other forum search tool.  It is the same as if I typed in from google.com: "site:handkusers.forumotion.com G-System".  I hope this helps BB!

What is it I'm missing about the Search function? Screen10

HwyStar
    Admin

What is it I'm missing about the Search function? Empty Re: What is it I'm missing about the Search function?

Post by HwyStar Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:32 pm

And here is the extension I use to search "all" sites:

What is it I'm missing about the Search function? Screen11

The little search tool shows up in the browser in the top right corner after the URL entry field.  Easy-Peasy!

bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:09 pm

You're right as usual Hwystar, searching without the "-" makes a difference. It's obvious that by setting it to reject "System" no matches will get through. Embarassed I now get 3 hits in the Amplifiers area, (none of them help but at least it's definitely working). Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious.

It's also interesting, and again it plain hadn't occurred to me, that it may be affected by my using Firefox or even because I'm a M$ hating Luddite who still sticks with XP on my day to day machine rather than being forced upstream against my will. Wink I've stuck to Ff since it's inception as I like the idea behind open source software, and it has always performed really well for me. Nowadays though it's showing its age and there are definite cracks showing. I may have to consider getting to grips with a more up to date browser for a number of reasons.

Thanks for the advice, I'll just have to be more careful in defining my search parameters in future.

Rock On Humble Pie
    HwyStar
    HwyStar
    Admin

Post by HwyStar Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:29 pm

I used to be a big Ff fan too, but Chrome got its stuff together and I have not looked back. I also support open source big time but sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Case in point: GM36!

Use the "site:" tag modifier from Google that I showed in my first post and you will find everything you ever wanted to know. Cheers Mate! king

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:01 am